Fishing for salmon is an awesome thing to do and if you happen to catch one then it’s even better! While catching salmon is exciting, cooking it is the next best thing to do. So if you want to know how to use an electric smoker when cooking salmon, this article can help you with that.
Read our full guide on how to maintain a smoker here: http://electricsmokerzone.com/
First of all, prepare your electric smoker. If you already got one then make sure that it’s ready for use. Make sure also that it’s clean too so it is totally ready. In case you don’t have any electric smoker then go ahead and pick one that you like.
There are plenty of smokers sold at an affordable price so it’s great for someone like you who is new to electric smokers. Now if you have your smoker ready, all you have to do is follow these easy steps:
- Turn on the electric smoker and set it according to the temperature that you like. Pre-heating the smoker is always a good idea to do so your salmon is cooked thoroughly.
- If the smoker you chose allows you to use wood chips or charcoal then fill up the pan on your smoker. Wood chips are excellent in adding flavor to the salmon you will be smoking so pick those that are made of cherry, oak, apple or maple. This will give a more flavor to your food.
- Keep in mind to use Kosher salt in your salmon. Regular table salt may remove the authentic smoked salmon taste.
- If you prefer a sweeter salmon then you need to brine your salmon with birch syrup or any syrup that you can find. Marinade the salmon in plastic bags or zip locks so the flavor can set in well.
- Take the marinated salmon out of the plastic bags and place them on the racks of your smoker. Allow the smoker to cook the salmon thoroughly for two hours or so or until the salmon is tender. A good indication that the salmon is cooked is when it changes color.
- Refill the wood if you are going to cook the salmon a lot longer. Make sure also that the salmon is not overcooked by monitoring it every now and then.
- If you have basting sauce then you can also baste the salmon. Make sure to take it out of the rack first and then place it back again in the smoker to be cooked.
- Once the salmon is cooked, remove it from the smoker and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. Serve while hot.
See, smoking salmon is very easy. You can definitely do it! All you need is a reliable backyard electric smoker and a salmon recipe that you need to try. You will also be happy that owning an electric smoker will give you options in cooking meat and not just salmon alone. So now that you know how to use an electric smoker, go ahead and give it a try. You will surely enjoy it!